This World Cup celebratory activity will occupy children on their journey and decorate their beach or backyard sandbox sandcastles!
Thirty-two teams will be competing across venues in Brazil, from June 12th – July 13th 2014. Did you know it was estimated that over 715 million people watched the World Cup final in 2006 held in Germany? This is a great opportunity to talk about the importance of sports as well as the colors and designs of our wonderful flags of the world. Encourage them to learn which symbols and colors represent the different countries participating in the famed tournament.
This travel art can be done in:
- Hotel rooms
What you will need:
- Printed World Cup Sandcastle Flag activity sheet
- A variety of colored pencils, felt tip markers or crayons
- Popsicle sticks or straws
- Glue or tape
- Safety scissors
- Print out Sandcastle Flag activity sheet.
- Put all drawing materials in a plastic lidded box ready for transporting. Give your children a tray to work on.
- Invite your child to color the flags and design their own in the blank shapes provided; try different flag-inspired designs like stripes, circles or stars!
- Cut the flags out and glue or tape them to the popsicle sticks or straws.
- Have fun decorating your sandcastles, or even use them to decorate World Cup cupcakes!
Diane Pagan graduated from Manchester Polytechnic with a fashion/textiles degree. She is a UK mom who is passionate about creativity, and she set up The Imagination Box to share her treasure trove of ideas and inspire families to bring more art into their lives. Connect with her and get more great ideas at http://www.theimaginationbox.com/