Japanese hand fans are an important symbol in Japan. Warriors used these hand fans as a form of weapon, actors and dancers used them in performances and children played with them as toys. They are still used in religious ceremonies and events.
This travel art can be done in:
- Hotel rooms
What you will need:
- Printed Japanese hand fan activity sheet
- A variety of colored pencils, felt tip markers or crayons
- Safety scissors, a whole punch and tape
- Wool or string to make a tassel for the bookmarks
- Print out the Japanese hand fan activity sheet.
- Put all drawing materials in a plastic lidded box ready for transporting. Give your children a tray to work on.
- Invite your children to color the fan designs.
- Carefully cut them out with safety scissors.
- Punch a hole a the top and add a tassel to create a bookmark OR use tape to make a colorful bracelet.
Diane Pagan graduated from Manchester Polytechnic with a fashion/textiles degree. She is a UK mom who is passionate about creativity, and she set up The Imagination Box to share her treasure trove of ideas and inspire families to bring more art into their lives. Connect with her and get more great ideas at http://www.theimaginationbox.com/